Art lovers in an inspired location.
Back in 1950, wishing to paint together and enjoy each other’s company, five local artists founded The Lake of Two Mountains Sketching Club. Over the years the club expanded and began holding regular exhibitions in St. James Church Hall, during which works were sold by silent auction.
For a while these shows were held outdoors, weather permitting, with artists setting their own prices and donating a percentage to worthy causes. Later, the shows moved back indoors with artists still setting their own prices but now being charged a percentage of their sales to defray club costs.
In February 1979 the club was renamed Artistes Hudson Artists to reflect the bilingual nature of the region and of our membership. For the last two decades, AHA’s exhibitions and other activities have taken place in Hudson’s Stephen F. Shaar Community Centre. A local charity is supported with a raffle during each exhibition. Monthly club meetings are held in St. Mary’s Parish Hall.
As the club’s reputation has grown, it has attracted many new member artists, professional, semi-professional and amateur alike, in visual arts, sculpture, photography, stained glass and more. Workshops with guest teachers and club members are offered. Many of the members show their work throughout the region and across Canada.
Today AHA has grown to a membership of 80 artists from Hudson and surrounding areas, and its reputation as a major contributor to the culture of the region continues to flourish.